Wednesday 12 August 2015

The Medion P6624 and Windows 10... a work in progress

Update 25th August, 2015:
Success! I now enter this update from a Medion P6624 running Windows 10.


Original Post:
To those out there who've seen my Windows 8.1 Pro installation instruction/help guide, I want you to know that I'm giving the Windows 10 upgrade a crack.




I'm attempting at first to use the live upgrade GWX tool.. you know, the one that Microsoft pushed out to everyone around April 2015, running Windows 7 or above with an icon that looks like this:
it seems to just hook in with Windows Update.

Anyway, so far, no good. Everything starts fine, there is a reboot initially. The installer presents a screen after reboot, saying it's installing Windows 10, and it is doing the copy stage..
Once that is done, it reboots.
It is at this step that things go wrong.
It boots, I see the old Windows 8 style screen, some twirly dots, and then they go away. Then it does "nothing", as far as I can tell. It eerily smacks of the "reboot hang" that I saw when I first fresh installed Windows 8 on this Medion P6624 (see last post on this blog). That was caused by the default USB3 driver in Windows 8. I hope to earth that the Windows 10 live upgrade doesn't replace the driver during the initialisation stages of the live upgrade process. Otherwise we are never going to get it installed - at least not the easy free way.

This is what I see...



...for about 8 hours. That is as long as I've left it. I could leave it longer I guess...




Anyway, the Medion is *hot*, so the CPU is working hard doing what visibly amounts to nothing, nothing at all (no twirly balls or anything).
At this stage, the only other option is to hard reset. Hold down the power button for 5 seconds. Afterward, the system boots, I see a super quick flash of a window. There's a title on the window, but I always miss what is running, it's something.exe. I suspect its the WinPE environment that loads all this installation. Immediately after this, I see "recovering installation", and then I get a black screen with the blue windows logo (as above) but no twirly dots at all, and nothing else. I guess I could leave that for another 8 hours, but I haven't.

After another hard reset, I see another super quick flash of a window, presumably the same thing that ran after the first hard reset. After that, I see this:


This happens every time, so I have now classified this particular outcome (Windows boot screen, no sign of twirly ball activity) a "hang" or "lock up".

I attempted the installation no more than 5 times, with the same result.

At least Windows 8.1Pro is restored to the PC. Bravo Microsoft. At least you do leave me with a working PC so dont need to use Clonezilla to get working again, that would take much longer.


Update 12/08/2015 9pm
The media creation tool method to install windows has the same problems. After I do a hard reset (hold down P6624's power button for 5 seconds) twice, it restores Windows 8.1 Pro. After that, the media creation tool least it provides *some* information. Here's what I'm presented with:
at least this is something to go with for now...
0xC1900101 - 0x30017
The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation.

This error could be one of two things:
1. The actual problem that is causing the hang, or
2. Me hard resetting the PC because it doesn't seem to do anything, like, forever.

I have only done this once so far, but since it was the same result as the GWX version, I didn't see the point.

Hmmm. I'm not sure what to do next.